How To Kill Mold On Wood
When attempting to kill mold growth on wood, opting for professional services is always the best route to take. However, if you would like to perform this task yourself, make sure to follow these steps.
Wear Protective Gear
Mold can be extremely dangerous if inhaled or ingested, so it is vital you protect yourself heading into this cleaning project. It is suggested to wear the following protective gear:
- Face mask covering your moth and nose.
- Rubber gloves.
Vacuum Entire Area
- Make sure to use a HEPA filter to suck up any loose mold spores on the wood.
- Run the vacuum over the entire area.
- Dispose of the vacuum contents outdoors.
- The vacuum material needs to be tightly sealed so no spores escape.
Clean Off The Mold
- The best way to kill mold that hasn’t deeply penetrated the wood is by using warm water and dish soap.
- Add just a teaspoon of soap to a spray bottle.
- Fill the bottle with water and shake it up.
- Spray the affected area, using a soft-bristled brush to scrub the mold gently.
- Sponge away any excess liquid while you clean.
- Dry the surface completely with a towel afterwards.
Distilled white vinegar can be used as an alternative to kill mold growing on wood.
- Combine equal parts vinegar and warm water in a spray bottle.
- Spray the solution on the area.
- Let it sit for about one hour, then wipe the surface with a moisturized cloth.
- Run a dry towel over the area after using the cloth.
If both of those cleaning solutions fail, it’s time to use borax, which is safer to use than bleach.
- Combining a tablespoon of borax with a cup of water, apply the solution to the mold with a soft-bristled brush.
- Leave the borax in the wood, while wiping away the mold.
- DO NOT sponge up the excess liquid using this method.
- Run a fan or dehumidifier around the area, making sure the wood dries properly and completely.
Mold Remediation Services In Arizona
Don’t trust your eyes to identify growing mold by yourself? Don’t worry, there are trusted professionals to handle such a task! Professional mold inspections include a thorough check of your property. All wall coverings, drywall and crevices inside and outside the property will be inspected. Once mold growth is identified, the first task for the inspectors is to fix the issue that caused the mold in the first place. This means any leaks or excess water will be worked on before the remediation process begins. Professional remediation should include proper removal, followed by a cleanup using biocide.
Protect your health and safety today by calling Native Environmental LLC for a full mold inspection. These trained professionals offer air quality testing and the best mold inspections in the entire Phoenix valley. Loose plumbing and slow roof leaks are two of the primary causes of mold. Suffice to say mold can grow without you having any idea of what is going on. Mold growth is not something that should be taken lightly. Native Environmental LLC has been ensuring the safety of Tempe, Tucson, Chandler, Gilbert, Glendale, South Phoenix, Central Phoenix, and Scottsdale residents for decades! Don’t hesitate to contact Native Environmental LLC for all your mold inspection and remediation needs.
Native Environmental LLC In Phoenix, Arizona
Native Environmental LLC is a industrial cleaning company located in Phoenix, Arizona offering a full list of industrial cleaning services including mold removal/remediation, asbestos removal/remediation, mercury spill clean up, silo cleaning and more. We can also help with industrial cleaning in Tempe, Tucson, Chandler, Gilbert, Glendale, South Phoenix, Central Phoenix, Scottsdale, Arizona and more.